The Services Academy has been established at Waitakere College with the support of The Ministry of Social Development, the Ministry of Education and the New Zealand Defense Force. It is a 12 month programme.
The Academy’s role is to:
- and Up-skill 20 Senior Students
This is to ensure that they have the best possible start in a career within the New Zealand Defense Force, Police Force, Fire Service, Security, or a pathway to further training, education or meaningful employment.
To provide an effective teaching and learning environment that is both purposeful and stimulating. Enabling personal achievement in all areas of both life and career education.
We aim to foster skills and values that enable students to take a positive role in society in the career of their choice and their local community by instilling the ethos and values of our NZ Defense Force being Commitment, Comradeship, Courage and Integrity.
- NCEA Literacy and Numeracy
- Fitness Development
- Self-Discipline and Personal Development Skills
- Communication Skills
- Employment Skills
- Life Education
- Service Training
- Military Studies and Visits to Military Installations
- Drill / Service Knowledge
- Physical Training and Education
- Induction 2 week Camp Waiouru Military Camp
- Military Skills Week (Field-craft and survival)
- First Aid
- Promed Safety Management in the Work Place Course
- Predator and Mustelid Course
- Great Adventure Challenge 1 week Inter Academy Race
- Basic and Advanced Leadership Courses
- Recruitment and Career Guidance
- Social Responsibility ( Community Service )
- Unit Standards available are 65 Level 2/3