Auckland is in Level 4. School Closed. Click for further information.
Show More Information
The Waitakere Way: learning, caring and respect
- We are all here to learn.
- We all care for each other.
- We treat everyone with respect.
These three values are essential prerequisites for our goal of raising student achievement. We have a vision for every student: 'Achievement for All'. Our teachers believe every student can achieve.
We have strong connections with families and community, including:
- Year 9 Parents' welcome evening, NCEA Achievers' assemblies, Maori parents' hui, Pasifika parents' fono, Shine enrichment celebration, Waipuna celebration, Performing Arts Variety Night.
- Weekly report cards for Year 9 and 10 students.
We meet the diverse learning needs of our students by offering:
- Shine - our challenging programme for Gifted and Talented students.
- A Performing Arts programme for those with a passion for performance.
- Thinking skills - part of the curriculum for every student.
- Learning Support: extra classes to boost reading levels to national standards for those who need it.
- Inclusion Support Centre for students with learning and physical disabilities.
- English for speakers of other languages.
- Tracking of individual students, with target groups for those who need an extra push to succeed.
- 3.05 Hive, our busy homework centre.
We have strong support systems:
- Year 9 and 10 Deans to ensure a smooth transition into secondary school.
- Homegroup teachers who care about the individual.
- House Leaders provide care and support for the students in their house.
- House cards offer recognition for achievement as well as friendly competition.
- An holistic Student Support Centre with Counsellors, Careers Advisors, Youth Workers and a Nurse.
- Trained students offer support as peer supporters, mediators, tutors and Kiwi-buddies.
SPORTS AND LEADERSHIP
- Variety of sporting codes on offer each season, with high levels of participation.
- Football Academy provides specialist tutoring for talented soccer players.
- Sports Award Dinner - our annual celebration of sporting achievement.
- Many different opportunities for leadership, as prefects, ambassadors, peer supporters, peer sexuality contact, Kiwi-buddies and tutors.
ARTS AND CULTURE
- Our achievements in the performing arts have been recognised by the Education Review Office (2007).
- Our culture groups are well represented in the ASB Cultural Festival: Kapa Haka, Samoan, Cook Island, Tongan, Indian, Korean and Thai groups.
- Annual School Musical and Talent Quest are packed-out highlights.
- Arts and Culture Week is an annual celebration of the artistic talents and many different cultures within the College, followed by the Arts and Cultural Awards Ceremony.
- Our Performing Arts class won the 2007 Fair Go Award Competition.
TRANSITION TO WORK
- Our Gateway Programme is recognised nation-wide as a leading example for providing structure work-place learning opportunities for senior students.
- Our Services Academy is one of a few in the country that offers another pathway to future employment in the armed forces, police or other service roles.
Waitakere College students have a right to learn in a safe environment. Our School Rules and Expectations can be found HERE.