We assess each student’s literacy and numeracy levels at the start of Year 9 and monitor their progress. Our aim is to raise students’ results by at least two sub-levels in the AsTTle test each year, more than the normal rate of progress – a goal which we are now achieving for almost all students.
Our Literacy and Numeracy Coordinators work with staff to lift student achievement in these areas.
Our Learning Support Department:
- places students in classes that meet their learning needs
- works with students who need intensive support in reading, writing and mathematics
- provides Teacher Aides to work with students in classrooms
- offers tutorial help to students who need more assistance
- offers specialist reading classes in Years 9 and 10
- offers peer tutoring where senior students work with students who need help with reading
- offers constructive support to students whose behaviour affects their learning, working with students, caregivers and whanau in a range of ways
- provides access to external agencies where appropriate.