It is a requirement of Immigration New Zealand that ALL International Fee Paying Students in New Zealand have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance.
Waitakere College recommends Unicare as they provide an excellent, comprehensive package at a competitive price that complies with the Education Code 2016.
Waitakere College can arrange insurance on your behalf with Unicare, details of this are included in the Fee Structure. Please see link for policy details https://www.uni-care.org
Students who are enrolled with UniCare can bring their medical receipts to the International Office to get help with making a claim.
Should a student choose to use another insurance provider they must provide a policy in English and it must be compliant with the Education Code 2016.
Student eligibility for Covid-19 healthcare
- Check in with your insurance provider regarding changes to your insurance policy.
- You are eligible for free COVID-19 testing and public healthcare if you think you have COVID-19. Further information is available on the Ministry of Health’s website.
- If you develop symptoms of a fever, cough, shortness of breath, a sore throat, sneezing and runny nose, or a temporary loss of smell, you should phone Healthline’s dedicated COVID-19 number 0800 358 5453.
- Healthline will provide an interpreter if you need language support. click the link here: Follow this process
- Please click here to read other important information for international students in NZ regarding Covid19
Apart from Covid-related health issues as described in the information above, most students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand unless they are:
- A resident or citizen of Australia; or
- A national of the United Kingdom in New Zealand; or
- The holder of a temporary permit that is valid for two years or more.
If you do not belong to one of these special categories and you receive medical treatment during your visit, you will be liable for the full costs of that treatment (but this may be covered by the insurance policy that you hold).