Waitākere College Is excited to inform you that our school will be joining the Government healthy lunch programme, Ka Ora, Ka Ako from Term 2 this year.
We are currently in the consultation phase with suppliers and the Ministry of Education (MoE) with a starting date to be confirmed soon.
The College supports this free healthy lunch initiative for many reasons. Some of these are;
- It provides healthy nutritious food for all students.
- Student physical and mental development is supported.
- It supports family and whanau at this time of rising costs.
- Concentration and learning are maintained by all students throughout each day.
- Academic performance and attendance increase as a result.
How we see this programme looking at Waitākere College;
- The lunches will be available for all our students.
- You still have the option to provide your child’s own lunch if you wish.
- The school Canteen will continue to run with a reduced menu.
- Lunches will cater for the diet, health/medical and cultural needs of our students.
- You may still provide morning tea and an afternoon snack as your child needs it.
- These lunches will be provided at our interval - 11:25 am daily.
We are currently working with the MoE on the best way to address our College needs. Meeting with a number of suppliers, with a student forum tasting and testing samples of hot and cold lunches to gain feedback, ultimately giving the students the control on decision making on what supplier/s we will select.
The next steps will be seeking information from all students in the College about any specific dietary requirements they may have. This will be done by a google form before the end of Term 1.